The 21st century is being ruled by dietitians, don’t you think so? Everyone around us is looking to shed a few kilos through the week with heavy workout sessions. Ever wondered what happens to us during weekends? Ever wondered how do the calories in all the calories in the alcohol add up?
As the weekend approaches, the bottle of alcohol calls us and without realizing the amount of fat we shed by working out all week gets multiplied in the weekend. Binge drinking becomes our go-to thing and we all blame it on stress and work-life balance.
Wouldn’t it be nice if we knew exactly how much calories our favorite alcohol has? In this article, we’ll try to make things simpler for you by telling you how much calories does your favorite beer/wine/whiskey/vodka/rum/gin/tequila/cocktail has.
Did you know?
Alcohol is mainly made from sugar or starch which in itself have a lot of calories. These calories in the alcohol are empty calories, with negligible nutritional value. There might be some traces of vitamins and minerals in some alcoholic beverages but there is no significant amount that gets added to our diet.
Having said that, since giving up is not an option at all. Let’s find out how many calories per intake are we consuming.
Before we look at the general per ml calorie count, let’s look at some of the popular alcohol brands and the calorie content in the alcohol they produce.
Calories in Vodka per 45 ml serving
- Calories in Absolut Vodka – 96 Calories
- Calories in Grey Goose – 96 calories
- Calories in Smirnoff – 97 calories
Calories in Whiskey calories listed per 45 ml
- Calories in Jack Daniels – 98 calories
- Calories in Teacher’s – 107 calories
Gin calories listed per 45 ml
- Calories in Seagram’s – 104 calories
- Calories in Tanqueray – 116 calories
Calories in Rum calories listed per 45 ml
- Calories in Bacardi – 98 calories
- Calories in Old Monk – 109 calories
Calories in Tequila calories listed per 45 ml
- Calories in Jose Cuervo – 96 calories
- Calories in Don Julio – 96 calories
- Calories in Patron – 98 calories
The calorie count in Red Wine is approximately 120 calories per 148 ml
The calorie count in White Wine is approximately 110 calories per 148 ml
Let’s look at some of our favorite mouthwatering cocktails and their calorie content. Calories in a mocktail depend on its content and hence is different for different mocktails.
The serving size is 200 ml
- Calories in Margarita – 453
- Calories in Martini – 413
- Calories in Mint Julep – 143
- Calories in Old Fashioned – 206
- Calories in Pina Colada – 297
- Calories in Screwdriver – 200
- Calories in Singapore Sling – 230
- Calories in Sloe Gin Fizz – 120
- Calories in Tequila Sunrise – 253
- Calories in Tom Collins – 120
- Calories in Black Russian – 291
- Calories in Whisky Sour – 166
- Calories in Blue Lagoon – 179
- Calories in White Russian – 360
- Calories in Cosmopolitan – 151 calories
- Calories in Zima – 185 calories
To get a general idea let’s look at the calorie count per ml
- 1 mug of beer 250ml has about 150 calories
- 1 glass of white wine 200 ml has about 120 calories (Contradicting the wine kcal mentioned above)
- 1 glass rum and diet Coke has 133 calories
- 1 glass of rum and Coke has 182 calories
- 1 tequila shot has about 100 calories
- 1 glass of Bailey’s Irish Cream has 468 calories
Did you know that drinking five pints of lager a week can add approximately 44,200 kcal in a year? No wonder they call it a beer belly.
- If you are in the mood for an alcohol punch a non-carbonated base like fruit juice
is a good way to go to keep the calorie count under check. If it is a fresh juice that is the best.
- Try and avoid salty snacks as much as possible when drinking as it will make your thirsty as a result of which you will end up drinking more.
Now the choice is yours! Choose wisely before you drink, Cheers!